What to do if Jio not living up to its speed promises
Reliance’s offer may seem too good to be true, but there are ways to make the experience better.
- Total Shares
Reliance Jio was launched with the promise to revolutionise mobile internet in India. And with its offer for free voice calls, HD calling, 4G data and messaging ending December 31 2016, Jio has amassed a huge number of users - more than 16 million, according to the company.
However, Jio hasn’t quite lived up to its promise of offering groundbreaking internet speed. Their 4G exhibits a mean download speed of 8.77Mbps, but internet speed, for a majority of users, has varied from 0.5Mbps to 25Mbps.Photo: Indiatoday.in
Needless to say, Jio’s promise may seem too good to be true, there are, however, a few ways in which the user can make their experience better.
1) Locking the 4G network to band 40
- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Select phone information
- Select "Set preferred network type"
- Select LTE Only
For MediaTek processor
- Install MTK Engineering Mode
- Run app
- Select "MTK Settings"
- Select "BandMode"
- Select SIM slot where you have put your Jio SIM
- Select "LTE mode"
- Select band 40 for best speed or band 5 for best coverage
- Save settings and reboot mobile to activate changes.
For Qualcomm processor
- Install Shortcut Master (Lite) app from Play Store.
- Menu > Search
- Type "Service Menu" or "Engineering Mode" and search
- Open if found and access to change LTE bandsPhoto: Indiatoday.in
2) Changing APN settings
- On the home screen, tap the Menu button.
- Tap Settings
- Tap Mobile networks
- Tap Access Point Names
- Name - RJio
- APN - jionet
- APN Type - Default
- Proxy - No changes
- Port - No changes
- Username - No changes
- Password - No changes
- Server - www.google.com
- MMSC - No changes
- MMS proxy - No changes
- MMS port - No changes
- MCC - 405
- MNC - 857 or 863 or 874
- Authentication type - No changes
- APN Protocol - Ipv4/Ipv6
3) Using the Internet Speed Booster and Optimizer app
- Download and install Internet Speed Booster & Optimizer app
- Enable the profile "Non-Root User" or "Root user" depending on your device root option
- Leave the app running in background
4) Using a VPN
- Download "Snap VPN" from the Play Store.
- Select from a list of countries according to your speed/ strength preferences
It may take a few attempts for the speed to increase substantially.
Note: Please try these at your own risk