Which one of the two were you as a child while playing hide and seek? Were you the one who hid somewhere for a very long time waiting to be found or forgot to find someone still hiding?
This 15-year-old Bangladeshi boy found himself in the latter situation, albeit in a way more dangerous place and a foreign country.
- On January 17, Malaysian authorities were stunned to find a boy inside a shipping container when it reached Port Klang from Chittagong, Bangladesh.
- The boy was, fortunately, alive, but in a state of confusion and emaciated.
- A viral video of the boy shared on Reddit shows Malaysian authorities taking the boy away on a stretcher.
- Authorities initially suspected it to be a case of human trafficking.
- However, authorities later discovered that the story was something else entirely.
The relevant authorities have investigated the case and their investigations found no elements of human trafficking.
- Malaysia Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail (Bernama)
- According to reports, the boy identified as Fahim entered the container in Chittagong while playing hide and seek and got locked in. He then fell asleep.
The boy was just believed to have entered the container, fell asleep, and found himself here. He was the only one found in the container.
- Malaysia Home Minister
- The vessel left Chittagong on January 11 and reached Malaysia on January 17, six days later.
- Reports state that the boy screamed for help from inside the container but no one could hear him.
- It is still a mystery how the boy managed to survive six days without any food or water. He was reportedly suffering from fever when he was found in Malaysia.
Malaysian authorities will repatriate him to Bangladesh once he recovers. However, stories such as this don't usually have a happy ending. In October 2022, Malaysian authorities found a decomposed body of a man in a container that was shipped from Chittagong.
The story of being accidentally locked inside a shipping container where no one can hear you, sounds more like a plot of a survival movie.