A passenger on a United Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Boston in the US tried to open the emergency exit door and stab a flight attendant. The incident took place on Monday, March 6. The accused Francisco Severo Torres, 33, was arrested at Boston Logan International Airport.
- Nearly 45 minutes before landing in Boston, the crew on Flight 2609 saw an alarm go off notifying that a door in the place was disarmed.
- Upon inspection, the crew found an emergency door's locking handle was pushed out of fully locked position and the emergency slide arming lever was disarmed.
- Soon after securing the door, the crew alerted the captain about the incident.
- A fellow flight attendant reported a man, Torres standing near the door and believed that he had tampered with it.
- When confronted, Torres asked for camera evidence. The crew also reported to the captain that the man posed a threat to the flight and they needed to land as soon as possible.
- Soon Torres got off his seat and charged towards a flight attendant with a broken metal spoon and stabbed the attendant in the neck three times.
- He was tackled and restrained by passengers and other flight crew. There were fortunately no injuries reported.
- Torres was later arrested upon landing and charged with "interference and attempted interference with flight crew members and attendants using a dangerous weapon".
- The punishment under the charges includes life imprisonment, five years of supervised release and a fine of about $250,000 or Rs 2.04 crore.