Australia's campaign in the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 witnessed a remarkable revival. Despite a stumbling start, they rebounded strongly to secure a spot in the final on Sunday, setting the stage for a showdown against India.
In a nail-biting semi-final at Eden Gardens on Thursday, Australia secured their spot in the Cricket World Cup final against India by defeating South Africa.
Australia mounted an impressive comeback in the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 after a shaky start marked by defeats to India and South Africa in their initial two games
- Despite the initial setbacks, the Aussies won all their following matches, earning a spot in the Final against India with a 3-wicket victory in the Thursday semi-final.
The Aussie comeback story
- The five-time World Cup champions Australia began their 2023 campaign in a shaky manner, leading to doubts about their future in the competition.
- Many even ruled out Australia's possibility of making it to the top four of the table. Hindered by poor batting performances, Australia’s hopes looked significantly dim during the initial stages of this World Cup.
- In the 2023 World Cup, Australia faced setbacks, losing their first match to India by 6 wickets and the subsequent one to South Africa by a margin of 134 runs.
- Following two initial losses in the World Cup, Australia made a remarkable turnaround, securing victories in all subsequent group stage games and the semi-final clash with South Africa.
- Australia's once-seen-as-a-weak-link batting lineup experienced significant improvement, fueled by outstanding centuries from key players such as David Warner, Glen Maxwell, and Mitchell Marsh throughout the tournament.
- Australia’s bowling lineup also showcased an impressive performance in the World Cup, with players Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, and Adam Zampa delivering brilliant performances.
- In the World Cup 2023, Australia had a significant win against Pakistan, thanks to top batters David Warner and Mitchell Marsh scoring 163 and 121. They set a tough target of 368, which was too much for Pakistan.
- Another notable victory came against Afghanistan, courtesy of an amazing double century by the injured Glen Maxwell, securing them a spot in the semi-finals.
- The bowling brilliance of the Kangaroos was highlighted during their semi-final clash against South Africa, where they dismantled the top-order of the Proteas.
- Australia will face a formidable Indian side at Ahmedabad on Sunday for the 2023 ICC World Cup final.
- Australia aims for a historic sixth 50-over World Cup victory, extending its record, while host nation India pursues a third title.
- The final is set to take place at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on November 19, with the match starting at 2 pm.